Friday, July 5, 2013

I Never Had a S'more.

Happy belated Fourth of July everyone!
I can imagine most of you this weekend are grilling it up, boozing it up, and taking part in other summer fun activities.  At barbecues, you have the usual food of hamburgers, hot dogs, ribs, corn, pork chops, and other delicious delights.  As for dessert, most of you may stick to the popsicles or ice cream. However, some may venture to create and indulge in a dessert I had only ever tasted this summer: a s’more.
Twenty two years old and I just had my first s’more this summer. Most of you who have had a s’more when you were a child, might find this awkward, and even strange. I believe the same thing.

You see, I was brought up in an Italian family where pasta was our main dietary staple (next to fish but after watching The Little Mermaid at a young age, I decided to never eat any seafood for the rest of my life). In this Italia household, we never had such delicacies as s’mores. We had desserts like biscotti, tiramisu, rum cake, and tons of other treats to clog your arteries.

WARNING: Even looking at it will cause your arteries to swell.

This is not to say I hated my Italian sweets (except biscotti which to me is dry bread). Honestly, I loved them but they could not compare to the deliciousness the television showed me. Every time a Hershey’s summer commercial came on, time slowed, and revealed a glorious new world. This unknown planet included teenagers laughing and prancing around a bonfire on the beach and eating those warm, gooey sugar rushes. Alongside wanting to be a writer, a model, an astronaut, and a ballerina, I wanted to fit in with that s’mores lovin crowd.
Of course, I tried to get my parents to make me a s’more. To this day, I’ll never understand why they didn't. I don’t know if it was anti-s’mores aliens persuading them not to or the fact that s’mores are not an Italian dessert.  So, naturally, I attempted to see what a s’more tasted like by buying s’mores flavored foods. Pop tarts, candies, bars, nothing compared to what the television depicted, and I feared my s’mores-sweet tooth would never be satisfied.
Years had passed and every time I told someone I never had a smores, I was always met with the same reactions: Are you crazy!? What’s wrong with you?! Why!? Who are you!? Why are you in my house!?
I had gotten used to the responses and even my boyfriends asked the same questions. Eventually my quest for s’mores had been buried beneath the responsibilities of work, the expectations of college, and life in general.  It wasn't until the start of this past June that my s’mores sweet tooth reared its sugar coated crown and rejuvenated my want for the treat.
Thankfully, my boyfriend had planned a barbecue dinner, and while shopping for the ingredients, I suggested the idea of s’mores. He happily agreed we should make some because I never had one before and it had been a while since he had one. 
After a simple barbecue dinner of hot dogs and pork chops, the preparation of s’mores commenced. Goosebumps rose up my arms despite the warmth of the charcoal as we roasted our marshmallows. The lifelong childhood desires were slowly being fulfilled with every passing second. The puffy cloud on the silver skewer began to brown, wisps of smoke arising from the circular tip. It was time.
Sliding the toasted fluff between a stick of chocolate and two graham crackers, the anticipation neared its peak. Pressing down on the crackers, the marshmallow spilled out onto the sides. The heat traveled through the toasted fluff and pushed against the crackers, tearing through the chocolate stick. Without hesitation, I took the treat between my hands, and bit into it like a starved man left to die in the Sahara Desert.
Never had I bitten into something so simply delicious.

Behold the ultimate dessert! Gaze upon it as you drool with wonder and hunger!

An explosion of euphoria tumbled onto my mouth, releasing a smoky sweetness that soothed my sweet tooth. The heat from the charcoal swirled about the treat and coated my cheeks in a pleasant warmth.  The cracker crumbled beneath the trampling of my teeth as the chocolate slipped in. The harmony of marshmallow, graham cracker, and chocolate created a symphony of deliciousness in my mouth. Each bite released another note of flavor that I adored and enticed me to continue eating.
With every bite, I sadly watched my childhood desire fade but at the same time, I greatly enjoyed it. My s’more sweet tooth was calmed with the final bite, as a summer time smile crept across my face. At last my s’more quest had come to an end and even though there was no beach or bonfire, I couldn't have been happier.
To those who have had a s'more as a child, treasure that moment and continue to devour s'mores whenever they are present. For there may be those who have never had a s'more like me and are still choking back artificial s'more flavored treats. If you know someone who is s'more deprived, teach them how to make this little treat or make one for them. Their smile will be the best reward you can ever obtain. 


No comments:

Post a Comment