Monday, September 9, 2013

Gonna Catch 'Em All

Along with Futurama ending this past week, we have received some other nerdy news. This tidbit of information has excited gamers everywhere, sparking nostalgia, and causing a tsunami of elation.

In approximately a month, the world will be obtaining the latest Pokemon game, Pokemon X or Y. This is the sixth generation of Pokemon, complete with creatures never seen before, and many others we've grown up with. This past summer, we've had great chunks of exciting news about this game including mega evolutions, Pokemon Amie, trainer customization, and the new fairy type.

However, on September 4th, 2013 we have been greatly informed about something completely different in the new Pokemon world. We will receive our new starter (our choice of Chespin (Grass), Fennekin (Fire), and Froakie (Water)) along with a first gen starter. That’s right, you’ll be able to get your hands on Charmander (Fire), Bulbasaur (Grass), or Squirtle (Water). Not only that but if you purchase the game before January, you’ll receive a free Torchic with a mega evolution stone. So technically, you get three starters. 


But wait, there’s more.



Your first gen starter can now mega evolve. So Blastoise is now Mega Blastoise with three cannons, crafted for being invincibly epic. 

marriland.com


Charizard is now Mega Charizard with dragonesque details, made for dominating the Pokemon world. 

examiner.com


Venusaur is now Mega Venusaur with a flower for beauty, designed for ruling the battlefields.

photobucket.com

I feel as though this is the most prominent information because we not only receive a whole new world of Pokemon but we are joined with our old friends from the very first game. We can relive the adventure we had experienced when we first played this excellent game. Not only will we gain new memories of this brand new Pokemon experience but we will do it with nostalgia by our side, reminding us of what we grew up with, and how the past combines with the future.

As for myself, this new knowledge has made me even more excited to get my hands on Pokemon X. For me, Pokemon is a trip down memory lane and a treat for my inner gamer.  Over the years, I've watched this pixilated game premiere and evolve into tons of generations.  With every release, I've witnessed new creatures form and more features added to game play. Throughout my life, I've crafted a collection of Pokemon games that I’m glad to call my own. Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, and Fire Red.

In my twenties, I started to sample the adult life. Bills, jobs, and responsibilities tumbled onto my plate like a mountain of waffles throughout my college years. However, the memories of Pokemon lived on through conversations and friendship.Yet in the midst of laughter and Pokemon teams, a fire flared up. This flickering flame made me question if I was too old for Pokemon; if it was time to put away childish things and grow up. So I packed up my Nintendo DS, stowed away my games in the basement, and carried on as if Pokemon never existed.

When news of Pokemon X and Y came to light, my inner gamer bounced in delight. With every new morsel of information, my internal gamer was filled with more excitement. A new Pokemon game where you could interact with your Pokemon like it was your pet, an even further evolution, and more new beasts to capture and train. It was as though my childhood got an upgrade and my gamer wanted in. I dug out the old DS, brought out my old games, and picked up where I left off.

As I played through my games, I realized I couldn't abandon this series. It had been with me since childhood, adolescence, and now, adulthood. On Christmas Day, I’ll be picking up a Nintendo 2DS and Pokemon X. With a flick of the switch, a smile will appear on my face as the nostalgia will come crashing down. I’ll embrace every moment of it and do my best to catch ‘em all while preparing myself for a long life of work, happiness, and no regrets. I’m going to be the best that no one ever was and no challenge is too great to stop me from becoming just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment