Friday, January 24, 2014

School's Back in Session

Good evening everyone and welcome to The Magical Mystery Blog.

Before I begin tonight’s post I would like to thank my followers and readers for taking the time out of their busy lives to read my work. As a writer, I greatly appreciate it and hope you continue to enjoy my blog and pass it onto your friends. If there’s anything you want to see me write about or improve on, feel free to comment or inbox me. I’d be more than happy to respond.  Enjoy tonight’s entry. :D

For many students, the winter break has ended and the new semester has begun. By now, college students have moved back into their dorms and reunited with their friends over the holiday filled vacation. Other students have returned to hard desk chairs and an empty board before them, just waiting to be written on. However, while we are taught the basics and details, there are just some things that schools don’t teach us that we need in life. Here are a few of those things.

4. Home Economics

I put this one last because there are some schools that actually teach this. For me, home economics was a club in middle school. I regret not attending all the meetings because I usually forgot about them or had to study. But home economics include how to properly do laundry, how to cook something other than toast, basic car maintenance, how to sew, and other lessons that should be taught in a classroom, not in a club meeting.


3. Tipping

Tipping at a restaurant, valet, and other places are just one of the little lessons school never taught us. While there are apps that help us give the proper tip, there are those who aren't as tech savvy as most of this generation. There are even tons of web sites devoted to telling you how much you should tip. But it comes down to two things: your overall opinion of the service that was performed (moving, waitressing, etc.) and simple percentages.  


2. Mortgages and Other Payments

At some point in your life, you will rent an apartment and eventually move into your own home. Either way, there will be payments due. Some of these payments include rentals, mortgages, gas bills, electric bills, and a ton of other money draining taxes. But of course in life, you will also accumulate credit cards and a car (or more) which you will also need to pay off. Some of you may even have school loans or loans from other places, which sooner or later you’ll have to get rid of. Regretfully, school doesn't teach you how to pay off your credit cards, loans, mortgages, car insurance, and taxes.


1. Tax Returns

A few days ago I received the required paperwork for my tax returns. To be honest with you readers, I looked at the papers and called my dad in because I was completely and utterly confused.  This isn’t to say I can’t read or write (believe me, I read and write like a sailor curses) but the tax return materials are mind boggling. There are so many forms, sections, questions, fill in spaces, it’s insane. I know you’re supposed to learn how to do these things on your own, but it would be better for school to teach us how to properly fill everything out. That way we won’t stare at the pages like they’re written in some secret, government language and will be able to understand what to do.


What is the one thing you wish they taught you in school? Feel free to comment and as always feedback and followers are welcomed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment