Thursday, May 21, 2015

Quotes to Live By

Good evening everyone and welcome to The Magical Mystery Blog.


So many students have graduated from all corners of the world so far. Congratulations to them and congratulations to the many more who will receive their diplomas in due time! As a graduate myself, I know the world is like a fire: burning bright, but also dangerous. It’s full of possibilities, opportunities, wonders, and risks. Many of you have had some encouragement on your graduation day, much like me.

Here are my top five quotes that have helped me during my graduation and life, that will motivate you.



5.  “Never lose your childish innocence.” – Katherine, “Under the Tuscan Sun”


What are we as children? We are open minded, innocent to the world around us, and not knowing what to expect. We should never lose this. We should always be open minded to new things; for they will take us places and help us grow. We should always be innocent to this world, without knowing what will come next or how dark it will be. We should always not know what to expect because life is full of surprises.



4. “Well we all shine on, like the moons and the stars and the sun.” – John Lennon


No matter what happens to us be it tragic, terrible, or terrific, we all shine on. We shimmer wildly like stars, we burn brightly like the sun, and we shine like the moons. Life may throw dirt at us, but we plow right through it with our radiance.  So when life does knock us down, we get back up, and keep on shining.


3. “It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default.” – J.K.Rowling


Failure is something that most people frown upon and to this day, I still don’t understand why. Failing is a learning experience; we learn how to be better. Rowling has been in my life since Harry Potter hit my bookshelf and I couldn’t be happier because from this woman I have learned so much and this is by far my favorite quote from her. Because there is always the possibility of failing and that makes us human. Also by failing we have taken risks to try and be better, only to learn that it didn’t succeed. So stop being cautious. Take risks. Either way, you’ll learn something and be alive.


2. “The beautiful thing about learning is that nobody can take it away from you.” – B. B.King


As mentioned in my recent elegy to the King of Blues, I love B.B.King.  I find this to be one of his greatest quotes because it’s true. What you learn in life, you own as a part of your experience here on Earth, as a part of your brain, as a fragment of your knowledge, as a bit of your soul. No one can take that from you. Plus you can never stop learning – you can take free courses on Coursera or go to graduate school or just keep living; it’s all up to you and for you to have until the end.


1. “One person’s insanity is another person’s reality.” – Tim Burton


Tim Burton has been my idol since I was a teenager, showing me a new perspective and giving me new angles to view the world from. Growing up I watched his works religiously from “Edward Scissorhands” to “Vincent”. When I heard him say this quote, it suddenly clicked with me that not everyone’s lives are the same. Everyone will have different lives regardless of how chaotic or peaceful they may be. Knowing this, we cannot compare our lives to another’s because our lives are so different; insane for some, realistic for others.


Thank you for reading tonight’s entry. If you enjoyed it, feel free to comment, share, and critique.



So tell me, what’s one quote that motivates you and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment