Monday, October 5, 2015

Sonic Sunglasses or Screwdriver?

Good evening everyone and welcome to The Magical Mystery Blog.
In the past few weeks, I’ve noticed that life has a way of making things work. For example, I’m now in a Dungeons and Dragons group (#clericlifestrife) every Tuesday which conflicts with my blog schedule. I’m also growing more acquainted with my job and I couldn’t be happier in doing so.  Lastly, I’m finally starting to get more of a social life – going out almost every Saturday and doing things to craft an excellent life.
Because of this, I’m once again going to change my blogging schedule. I apologize, this must be irritating to you and frankly, I can easily understand why. I don’t know if I will change the scheduling again in the future, but I can only see what time brings.
Until then the new blogging schedule is: Monday and Thursday.
Fanfictions will still be posted every Sunday. As to where there will be a second day for them or not, I’m still uncertain. I do not enjoy doing anything without putting effort into it – my writing especially; after all, it is what I want to do in life.  I will keep everyone abreast as to what will happen in the future regarding my blogging and fanfiction schedules.
Since it is Monday, let’s get this show on the road.


Speaking of shows, this previous weekend episode of “Doctor Who” sent the Internet into a frenzied storm. Not because of the Daleks or the Tardis regenerating. No, no, it was something completely different, unexpected, and written by the hand of Steven Moffat. 
It was the sonic sunglasses.
The sonic sunglasses are to (possibly temporarily) replace the sonic screwdriver and encompass all the features of that device. They are “wearable technology” as the Doctor so excitedly referred to them.  This new accessory has sent the Internet into a spiraling tornado of anger and curses aimed towards Moffat who claimed that he invented the sonic sunglasses because he could.  He exercised his power as a writer and made a change to something incredibly iconic, now reducing it to a pair of sunglasses.
Before I give my opinion on these sonic sunglasses, I would like to say that I am a woman who embraces change like the sun. I try to live my life open mindedly, experiencing new things one day at a time or whenever they so happen to arise. I appreciate and welcome change in an attempt to learn more about myself and the world around me. I honestly believe the Doctor is the same way – from the start of his new regeneration we saw him trying to figure out who he was and always questioning his person. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with this and if anything, more fans have encouraged this. They want to see a Doctor who will never stop asking about his identity, his life, his past, what he can do, what he can’t do, and why. It makes this Doctor much more relatable, given that these are questions we do ask ourselves on a daily basis. We do this to understand ourselves better and our place in this great, vast universe.
But by the beard of Zeus coated in bubble gum I hope these sonic sunglasses are temporary. Again, there is nothing wrong with change and exploring something new in an attempt to understand everything, including yourself.  The sunglasses are just sunglasses; there’s nothing special about them other than them being able to perform the functions of a sonic screwdriver which is all well and good, but in the end they’re just sunglasses.  You can purchase sunglasses anywhere and while they are stylish, they bear nothing special when compared to a sonic screwdriver.
Now what is a sonic screwdriver? A sonic screwdriver is elusive, exclusive only to those of Gallifrey (unless you’re River Song) crafted with time lord technology. It is a device no other species has and is used for pretty much everything except any activity regarding items with wood in them. It has been around since the very birth of this entire franchise and has stood the test of time, often changing into different forms when a new Doctor regenerated. The sonic screwdriver represents the “Doctor Who” fandom as something unique, strange, and timeless.
So far, the Internet has crafted petitions against Moffat’s sudden onslaught of sonic sunglasses.  While I have not signed it (nor do I have any intention to in case this is just a mere temporary event), I am curious to see what will come about.
Thank you for reading today’s entry. If you enjoyed it, feel free to subscribe, share, comment, and critique.
So tell me, what do you think of the sonic sunglasses?

No comments:

Post a Comment