Thursday, September 8, 2016

Gene Wilder: A Man of Pure Imagination


Good evening everyone and welcome to The Magical Mystery Blog.

Holy gobstoppers, Gene Wilder is deceased.

Gene Wilder (originally born as Jerome (“Jerry”) Silberman) has passed on August 28th, 2016 in Stamford, Connecticut at the age of 83 due to complications from Alzheimer’s disease. He hadn’t informed the public of his condition because he didn’t want children to sadly view him for his illness, but rather happiness for all the joy he brought them.

My heart has been punched severely by this news and still aches as I write this entry.  So much so that I needed longer than usual to craft an entry that at best would convey my feelings for the man and to do it in a proper fashion. Even so, I’m still tearing up at “Pure Imagination” as it plays in my head.

In a sense, I feel as though I’ve grown up with Gene Wilder. We first met during my childhood with “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory”. The movie terrified me greatly, but as an adult I appreciate it and adore it dearly especially with its trivia. Did you know that the first time Wilder ever appeared to the cast was when he rolled out to them upon opening the factory? And that the reactions of everyone during the boat scene were completely genuine? The director had informed the cast they were going on a boat ride, but didn’t mention the horrific images or Wilder’s improvised lines (“There’s no earthly way of knowing which direction they are going…”). In fact, most of the reactions in this movie were genuine – even down to the final scene where Charlie confronts Willy Wonka in his office.

Wilder returned to me in my teen years where I fell in love with “Saturday Night Live” especially the older, original cast including Gilda Radner.  It was during this time that I had learned that he had married Gilda Radner and when she died from breast cancer, he created Gilda’s Club. Gilda’s Club was a non-profit charity to help those with cancer. The notion of Wilder wanting to continue breast cancer efforts despite her passing and his suffering from it was beyond immeasurable and imaginable for me. The mere amount of heartbreak he must have endured had to be ungodly.

Following me through my adolescence and adulthood, Wilder thrilled me with “The Producers” (Pre-Nathan Lane/Matthew Broderick (though he loved their Broadway version)), “Blazing Saddles”, and “Young Frankenstein” (“FRONKensteen!”) both produced by Mel Brooks. Gene Wilder had met Mel Brooks in his early stage career and the two housed a wonderful friendship and partnership.  He was nominated for an Oscar for his role in “The Producers” which caused him to be a highly demanded actor which secured his iconic role as Willy Wonka.

It’s been about a week since Wilder passed and my chest still throbs terribly in knowing we lost a great man. In knowing I lost someone who I seemingly grew up with, who would always wind his way back into my life. For every moment he visited, I learned to love more of his work as well as life. Thank you Gene Wilder, for somehow secretly always being there and being a wonderful person.

Thank you for reading tonight’s entry. If you enjoyed it, feel free to share, subscribe, critique, and comment.

So tell me, what did you like Wilder in the most?

No comments:

Post a Comment