Monday, August 26, 2013

There's Magic in the Air Tonight

Welcome everyone to the finale of Disney Magic Mondays here at The Magical Mystery Blog.

Magic makes the best moments at Walt Disney World. Magic can happen while walking down Main Street or even just sitting on a bench at Hollywood Studios. It’s spontaneous and random, just like the nightly fireworks. At Disney World you’ll be able to tell when magic hits you because it seems like you've ascended into a world you've dreamed of. It’s a wonderful moment when it happens and when it does, you’ll be awestruck and filled with belief that anything can happen.

In my thirteen years of Disney, I've had some fantastic magical moments. Below are my top ten magical memories that I hope inspire you to visit Walt Disney World in the future.


10) ALL THE DESSERT – before it became Tutto Italia, it was Ristorante Italiano. Located in EPCOT’s Italy Pavilion, my family and I dined there year after year. Our last time there wasn't a pleasant experience and to make up for it, the waiter brought us a tray of all their desserts. All of them. Strawberry shortcake, tiramisu, and tons of others. He didn't have to do that but it brought a little magic to our night and a smile to my face.


9) A Fairy Surprise – remember how I mentioned in one of my previous entries you can wake up Tinkerbell if you arrived at the Magic Kingdom extremely early? Well, on my fourth year of Disney World I did just that. It was our last day and I wanted to go to that specific park because it was (and still is) my all time favorite. That morning the cashier handed me the bell and I rang it as loud as I could, yelling the pixie’s name, and telling her to wake up. In a matter of moments, she flitted before my eyes before fading away into the store.

However, that wasn't the last I’d see of Miss Bell that day. To this day I’m not sure how my mom hid this from me but she is good, I will say that. During our flight home, my mom managed to fall asleep. Reaching for my Nintendo DS in the carry on bag, I felt something squishy. I didn't remember packing anything of that nature and pulled out a Tinkerbell binder. Containing my joy behind a smile, I eagerly opened the purple binder. Inside was a few months’ supply of Tinkerbell themed school gear such as pens, post its, and many other items. No sooner school began, I used as much as I could of the pixie styled items.


8) Fantasmic – I solemnly swear that this is the most epic show I've ever seen at Walt Disney World. Discovering this my third year at Disney World, I was spellbound by the outdoor performance of fire, puppetry, and beauty. This show takes us through the dreams of the famous mouse himself where we are met with the ultimate battle of good vs evil. I would have to say that the part that spellbound me the most was Maleficent in her gloriously dark dragon form, appearing on the rocky stage, and spewing fire onto the surrounding island. Roaring into the night, she sent chills down my spine but made me grin in elation. After seeing this show for the first time, I made it a tradition to always see it whenever I went to Disney World.


7) Beneath the Orange Moon - in my tenth year of Disney, I was transforming into a young adult. High school wouldn't last forever and college would be starting soon. What I wanted to do with my life would have to be determined as soon as possible; I couldn't keep playing Kingdom Hearts forever and somehow turn it into a career. All these thoughts and concerns were getting to me on this particular vacation and I couldn't enjoy it.

One night after walking throughout the Animal Kingdom, I decided I needed some me time. The pool at our All Star resort was filled to the brim with vacationing teenagers and a few adults sneaking in some night swimming. Finding no calm among the noise, I managed to discover an abandoned pool. Palm trees looked down upon this pool as they seemed to hold up the moon on their hunched bark backs. A serene silence invited me to this miniature, almost glowing pool as I climbed in, and proceeded to float.

Staring into the tangerine moon, my thoughts started to meld into one: what will I do with my life? After an hour, my worries seemed to be absorbed by the water. The moon appeared to steal all the questions I had about myself and reminded me of where I was. I was in Walt Disney World for the tenth time. I was in high school with a few years left before college. At that time, I had nothing to worry about other than what park to visit tomorrow. Leaving the pool with boulders off my shoulders, I smiled, knowing I could relax for a few more years.


6) Finding Elwood – for as long as I dined at Disney’s House of Blues, I never noticed Elwood until my twelfth trip. My family and I always made it a point to sit out on the water because of the beautiful scenery, excellent breeze, and wonderful environment. At the start of our eighth year of Disney, we dined there but had to sit inside due to the terrible rain.  

During this time in my life, I had discovered The Blues Brothers which I still consider to be an excellent comedic classic, and by far the greatest combined work of Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi. Behind the bar area of the House of Blues was something I had never noticed before. Something that caused my heart to beat like a hummingbird flapping its wings. Hanging in the middle of the beers and vodkas rested a portrait of Jake and Elwood Blues. Giddy at this discovery, I whipped out my camera and proceeded to take a ton of pictures. Sadly, I had accidentally deleted the photos while cleaning out my camera.


5) She’s a Pirate – seniors tend to do crazy things in high school. Some drink outrageously, others party harder than the average human being, but I decided to become a pirate. On my senior trip to Walt Disney World, there was a miniature pirate show featuring Captain Jack Sparrow, and one of his sea dogs. While the outdoor performance was for children, I decided to be a part of this crowd. When Jack asked who would like to be a pirate, I raised my hand, and proclaimed my love for the dashing swashbuckler. He allowed me to join the group in declaring ourselves pirates and handed me a certificate stating my oath to piracy. Until the day I die, I will be a pirate.

Me


4) Big Thunder Mt. Railroad – whenever my mom goes to a theme park she avoids roller coasters at all cost. During our first visit to Walt Disney World, we stumbled upon Big Thunder Mt. I knew it was a roller coaster, she didn't  So I convinced her it was a gentle train ride through the wilderness. She said it sounded like fun and climbed aboard with me and my dad.

tumblr.com
Wildest ride in the West? No, no, it's the Tamest ride in the West.
As we began to ascend the dark tunnel, my mom suddenly realized that this was no tranquil train ride. After the first drop was where the fun began. A sudden rush of wind pushed our visors off to which my mom proceeded to scream like a fan at a QUEEN concert. Thankfully the hats were rescued by my dad who caught them and created a Kodak moment. Sadly, we lacked a Kodak camera. After the ride, I was relieved that she didn't want to strangle me for tricking her onto a roller coaster. However, she got her revenge the following year. 


3) The Haunted Mansion – as a child I hated the Haunted Mansion because I thought it housed cadaverous beasts from nightmares. The second year of Walt Disney World, my mom decided that she wanted to go on it. I’m not sure if it was payback from Big Thunder Mt. or her mere curiosity, but she dragged me through the queue. Throughout the ride I was horrified until we reached the end. When leaving the ride, my mom asked what I thought of the attraction to which I responded, “Let’s go again! Let’s go again!”

To this day she regrets taking me on the Haunted Mansion because I extremely adore it.


2) Halloween – for my sweet sixteen my dad decided to surprise me to a trip to Walt Disney World during Halloween. The weather was as warm as a hug, the season of spirits was in the air, and I was going to Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party. No sooner I entered our shuttle to the Magic Kingdom, comments about my costume arose like zombies. When we reached the park I became popular in just under a half hour with my outfit of the Haunted Mansion’s Beating Heart Bride (or as the Cast Members call her, Emily Cavanaugh Gracey).

doombuggies.com
The original bride of Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion. You know, before that Constance appeared...


After walking around the park, I managed to grab a seat for the Halloween parade.  Down Main Street U.S.A., a black mare charged through the night carrying a headless horseman with a flaming pumpkin in his grip. Through the roar of applause and wonder filled eyes, the parade started. Disney villains flooded the street, grooving out to some spirited music. Haunted Mansion ghosts waltzed through the street and in the distance, a skeleton band unleashed some wicked tunes. To top off this remarkable night was a glorious fireworks display which showcased the villains once more in orange and ebony tinted lights.


1) Bert is the Ultimate Sweetheart –Honestly, Bert is the first Disney character I ever remember seeing. As a child, I was convinced he was talking to me during the beginning of Mary Poppins. I’ll admit I had a crush on him when I was young but that faded over the years. Until I went to Walt Disney World that is, where he warmed my heart like hot fudge melting a scoop of ice cream.

The first time I met the chimney sweep was at Hollywood Studios. I was depressed because we were leaving the next day and I didn't want to leave Walt Disney World. It was our first time there and I had fallen in love with Cinderella’s Palace and wanted to live there. 


wikipedia.com
Yeah if you can just move the flat screen to the living room I'd appreciate that....

 As the Disney Stars in Motor Cars Parade passed in front of me, I saw Bert riding his popcorn yellow horse from the movie’s horse race scene. Heavy with sorrow, I blew him a weak kiss which he caught in his hat and blew me one back. My frown was immediately transformed into a smile as I giggled and smiled with joy.

The second time I ran into Bert was on my sweet sixteen, our eleventh year of Disney. It’s rare to catch a glimpse of Mary and Bert strolling around Disney World and for them to show up on my birthday was something special. Honestly, I couldn’t ask for a better present than a hug from the chimney sweep and practically perfect nanny. It was by far one of the best birthdays and Disney experiences I've ever endured. 

This entry concludes my Disney Magic Monday entries here at The Magical Mystery Blog. From Mondays onward, I will be posting more normal things like I do on Fridays. Until then, c ya real soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment