Friday, March 28, 2014

Poetry: Food for the Soul

Good evening everyone and welcome to The Magical Mystery Blog.

Tonight, I share some fantastic news with everyone. My old community college’s literary magazine has accepted my submissions and will be displaying some of my poetry in this year’s issue.  Also as far as I’m concerned, my other college’s literary magazine will also be publishing a few of my poems.  My poetry deals with a ton of different elements, but here are my top five subjects that I often write about.

5. People

Call me crazy, but people watching is rather fun. The actions they do, how they perform them, often tell you what type of person they are. They also make for good inspiration when it comes to poetry. How gently a woman can pick up something as opposed to someone else lifting an object aggressively. How a person tries to copy someone else’s actions and how they may fail or succeed in doing so. Everyone is different, making them interesting, dull, klutzy, or lively.

4. Objects

It’s easy to personify objects, especially in poetry. The verses become a canvas for you to morph something like an orange into a moon. Sometimes I twist normal items into something new and different things. I love doing that because it plays with the reader’s mind, challenging them to think of an object as something else.

3. Nature

Nature is a concept often used in art and literature. Great poets like Lord Byron and Emerson have written about the beauty of nature in many forms, from the forests to night. I mostly write about my two loves of nature: the night (and all its’ details) and the sea. I’ve always admired the sea and the mysteries and beauty it contains. I’ve often found the night soothing and beautiful, it relaxes me, and allows me to do my best work during that time.

2. Personal Experiences

Everyone has experiences that affect them in some way or another. My experiences have ranged from fantastic to unusual and everything in between. They’re usually my fuel for most of my poems when other muses fail me.

1. Life

Life is a beast. On some day it’s kind and gentle towards you. Other days, it could be vicious and unmerciful for no reason. It is an inspiring monster that cannot be tamed, but rather ridden with every passing day. Every day presents something new to be inspired by or contemplate.  For me, I take these events as bits of inspiration.  

Feel free to reblog and comment, and as always feedback and followers are welcomed. Before this entry concludes, I like to ask everyone a question:


What inspires you to write? 

No comments:

Post a Comment