Thursday, February 19, 2015

Take My Revolution: Kill la Kill

Good evening everyone and welcome to The Magical Mystery Blog.

Having been away from most modern day animes and thinking I finally escaped; I was dragged back in by one of my friends. I used to love anime as a teen and grew up with the classics: “Dragonball Z,” “Dragonball,” “Sailor Moon,” “Pokemon,” “Wolf’s Rain,” “.hack//SIGN,” “Revolutionary Girl Utena,” “Lupin the Third,” and so many others. But I found that the more I transitioned into modern day animes like “Black Butler” and “Soul Eater,” the more I realized I just couldn’t do it anymore because it was hard to keep up. Life was what mostly blocked me from pursuing more programs, but it was also the fact that these new shows lacked something for me. What that something was, I still have no idea to this day, but it just felt wrong and incomplete.

And so my friend decided to drag me back into anime by recommending “Kill la Kill.” I had heard about this anime before on many web sites and from my other friends. I think his recommendation was the final nail in the coffin for me to give this show a shot and so I sat down not too long ago and began my binge. I literally finished my binge watching of this anime a half hour ago.

What followed was a series of references, insane (and logical) plot twists, lovable characters, and an addictively fun art style. I was not expecting any of this and immediately found myself caught up in the story of a young lady (Ryuko Matoi) wanting to learn about her father’s death and secrets. With nothing but a scissor blade and a talking uniform (Kamui Senketsu) by her side, she transfers to Honnouji Academy where the story begins.

After watching the series it was at then this anime made me realize two things.
  1.  Not all modern anime lack that certain something for me. When I was watching “Kill la Kill,” it reminded me of how I used to feel when watching anime; completely excited, curious, and hanging on the edge of my seat.

  2. “Kill la Kill” is a modern day “Revolutionary Girl Utena.”

The second note made me realize this because of the show’s premise and details. There’s the main protagonist (Ryuko Matoi) who wants to achieve knowledge to understand a fragment of her past. She is a tomboy, very unfeminine, and rough; much like Utena Tenjou, the protagonist from “Revolutionary Girl Utena”.  Ryuko has something (Kamui) that only a select group of people have and this is what entices them to fight; they also issue each other challenges (sometimes by paper, but mostly verbally). In “Revolutionary Girl Utena,” those with the rose crest ring are the only ones that can fight each other and often challenge each other with words or paper.

The challengers in “Revolutionary Girl Utena” consist of five student council members (Kyouichi Saionji, Juri Arisugawa, Miki Kaoru, Touga Kiryuu, and Nanami Kiryuu). Touga is the president and leads them, while receiving orders from the director of Ohtori Academy. The challengers in “Kill la Kill” are also five students (including Satsuki) who entitle themselves the Elite Four, but act as the overall student council; they consist of Hoka Inumuta, Satsuki Kiryuin, Sanageyama,Nonon Jakuzure, and Ira Gamagori. Satsuki is the president and leads them, while also receiving orders from the director. Each take on Ryuko in a single battle that brings her closer to fighting her rival, Satsuki. They each battle her on a platform similar to the platform from the movie, ”The Adolescence of Utena” which ties in with the “Revolutionary Girl Utena” program. Both platforms are a flat surface connected with a bridge that drops down onto the area.

The protagonist’s best friend (Mako Mankanshoku) even acts a lot like Wakaba from “Revolutionary Girl Utena,” being completely supportive, hyperactive, and even being taken over by the antagonist’s intentions. Wakaba was taken over by the black rose issued by Mikage and fought Utena. In “Kill la Kill,” the antagonist (Satsuki) allowed Mako to be overtaken by club status and a greedy lifestyle so that she had to fight Ryuko.

Ragyo Kiryuin, the very villain of this series also shares some tendencies with Akio (the ultimate antagonist from “Revolutionary Girl Utena”). They are both presented as tall, God like figures, looking down upon those who are beneath them in luxurious towers. Both Ragyo and Akio are very incestuous when it comes to their family; Akio and Anthy (his sister) have an abusive, yet sexual relationship. Ragyo and Satsuki (her daughter) also have the same type of relationship.

There’s also a matter of Ryuko’s weapon, the scissor blade. In “Revolutionary Girl Utena,” the main protagonist (Utena) has the sword of Dios. Though later on, we encounter its counterpart in the hands of a villain – much like in “Kill la Kill”, the other half of the scissor blade is in the hands of an enemy, Nui Harime. Even the ending itself is similar to “Revolutionary Girl Utena,” in which the protagonist is impaled with thousands of sharpened items (in “Revolutionary Girl Utena” swords, in “Kill la Kill” Ragyo’s wings) and falls to Earth after the battle.

I heavily enjoyed “Kill la Kill” and I love “Revolutionary Girl Utena” to death. To find such similarities between the two filled me with delight. Not only did the series rekindle my love for “Revolutionary Girl Utena,” but it also made me realize that I just can’t leave my love for anime.
Thank you for taking the time to read tonight’s entry. If you enjoyed it, feel free to comment, share, and critique.

So tell me, what’s your favorite anime and why? 

No comments:

Post a Comment