Thursday, September 22, 2016

NYCC: Be Careful

Good evening everyone and welcome to The Magical Mystery Blog.

In a few weeks I’ll be going to NYCC and I’m filled with excitement and anxiety. I’m excited because I finally get to go to NYCC after all these years and anxiety because of any possible attacks.

Three pipe bombs were found near a train station in Elizabeth, NJ, there was an explosive set off at a Marine charity race in Sea Isle City, and a dumpster in the Chelsea block of Manhattan housed a pressure cooker explosion. Another homemade explosive was found two blocks away from the Chelsea neighborhood, but did not go off. Twenty nine people were injured in these attacks, but thankfully no one was killed. The attacks were formulated by Ahmad Khan Rahami who was captured by the police in a chase that ended in Linden, NJ. Rahami was shot in the leg and taken into custody while an officer he had shot sustained a mere chest injury.

New York has been home to various bombings, most notably 9/11, the Boston Marathon, and other attackss in between with pressure cookers and makeshift bombs galore.

New York is a wonderful city and a large pot of America’s melting pot culture. NYCC in particular is an example of this concept. As a cosplayer I love seeing people from all of the world cosplaying characters everyone knows and loves. I also love meeting other cosplayers and conversing with them.

To attend this annual New York based convention after a few bombings shakes my spirits some. It’s a scary notion of going to a city after it was bombed because no one knows when another assailant may appear. No one can predict a bomber’s next action or who is a bomber. Albeit, NYCC’s security appears to be tight which is a mild relief. Yet the idea still persists.

In the past year I’ve ventured to at least six cons in areas both pleasant and putrid. Through these experiences, the con life has taught me something. It’s that you can’t always be scared nor can you predict what will unravel.  This not only applies to cons, but just travelling in general, and I obtain some peace with this advice. At best all I can do is be careful, be cognitive, and be close to my friends at NYCC. It’s all anyone can do honestly other than to avoid the con itself, but why would I avoid something I’ve already paid for and been looking forward to for so long?  

To those attending NYCC like me: be safe, be aware, be with your friends, and be sure to have a great time.

Thank you for reading. If you enjoyed it, feel free to share, subscribe, comment, and critique.

So tell me, are you going to NYCC?



No comments:

Post a Comment