Monday, October 3, 2016

Confidence in Cosplay


Good evening everyone and welcome to The Magical Mystery Blog.

The biggest con event of the year is happening this weekend. That’s right it’s New York Comic Con. NYCC is one of the largest cons in the nation drawing together iconic celebrities, cosplayers, and geeks.  Most cosplayers will probably roam about the city and be themselves.

For someone with anxiety, roaming around the city in cosplay is a victory. Growing up, cosplay was looked down upon and considered to be a waste of time. Whenever a cosplay was worn it was often made fun of and the cosplayer was deemed a loser. Even when attending ACBC and WWP this year, I was a bit hesitant to walk around in public dressed in my cosplay. I had no idea how I would be viewed or would be said of me. However, maturity and cosplay’s modern acceptance and view have changed me.

I’m a woman in her late twenties cosplaying a fictional character and to be frank with you, I couldn’t be happier. It’s an extension of expressing myself and to publicly wear that cosplay for a con I’m attending gives me joy. Sometimes I’ll get compliments. Sometimes I’ll get strange stares, but at the same time I simply don’t care. I’m being myself and it’s wonderful. It takes a ton of confidence and assurance to be one’s self in this world with bullies (both physical and cyber), society’s perspective of things, and people in general. I think after all these years my confidence has come to fruition especially by means of cosplay.

When Saturday comes I will happily walk onto the train, through the stations, down to Manhattan, and wherever else I please wearing my cosplay. I have the confidence to override my anxiety, ignore what other people think and/or say of me, and just generally be myself. It’s a feeling that once embraced, can never be taken away from you and cosplay has helped me achieved that.

I think in life we need to find the things that make us incredibly confident. It can be one thing or it can be multiple things. For me it would have to be writing and cosplaying and maybe it’s other activities I haven’t discovered, but if there are any more, I plan to discover and fully embrace them.

Thank you for reading tonight’s entry. If you enjoyed it, feel free to comment, critique, share, and subscribe.

So tell me, what makes you feel confident?


No comments:

Post a Comment