Thursday, May 7, 2015

Digimon's 15th Anniversary

Good afternoon everyone and welcome to The Magical Mystery Blog.

This year marks the 15th anniversary of Digimon. Digimon, a show that competed against Pokemon in the 90s, was about eight kids who were sucked into a digital world and given a Digimon to fight with. Along the way we saw the children grow, their Digimon digivolve, and some excellent battles. It’s been fifteen years since we watched the original program, collected the toys and cards, and played the video games. So naturally, we should expect some sort of anniversary special, right? Well, right we are.

Just announced last night, “Digimon Tri” will be a new addition to the “Digimon Adventure” series. It features the original, iconic kids we know and love as seventeen year olds with their digital pals. However, it won’t be just one special; instead, it will be spanned out into a six part theatrical release. So far we’ve seen a bit of character artwork, but now we have a full preview of what’s to come.

As a fan of the franchise, I’ll admit I only watched the original program and the one after it. When the third one was aired I attempted to keep up, but I was too distracted by life and video games. I still have the action figures of the first Digimon series stored away in the attic and Digimon World for the PS1. The last Digimon I raised on there with my neighbor was a Skullgreymon. We thought that particular Digimon was about as cool as a glacier and looked incredible. However, for whatever reason it kept dying on us. Since we didn’t want it to die, we would immediately reset the game every time just before it passed on.

I also have Digimon Rumble on the PS1, a game no one wanted to play with me because I always won with Renamon. Renamon is one of my favorite Digimon from the later series because of how fast she is, how her digivolutions revolve around Japanese culture, and how she is modeled after a fox – one of my favorite animals.

As you can tell, I’m pretty excited about this anniversary project. I can’t wait to see how the original cast has changed and the future of the Digiworld.

Thanks for reading today’s entry. If you enjoyed it, feel free to comment, share, and critique.


So tell me, what was your favorite Digimon and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment