Thursday, May 19, 2016

Never Too Old for Cosplay

Good evening everyone and welcome to The Magical Mystery Blog.

I apologize for the lack of entries last week – crafting cosplays, con going, and con recovery are incredibly tiring and fun. This past weekend I attended the Steampunk World’s Fair and from that con, I’ve retrieved some wisdom which has reassured me about one thing in life.

You're never too old for cosplay.

This is something I’ve learned at the Steampunk World’s Fair wherein I saw a good amount of elderly people cosplaying. They cosplayed couple outfits such as a bee and her beekeeper, an octopus and a fisher, and simply Victorian clad personas. Their outfits were wonderful and highly detailed and it made me wonder if older people spend their retirement money on cosplay.

When we think of growing old we recall things the media has shown us: travelling the world, retirement homes with Sunday bingo and crocheting, sitting around the house and knitting, grandchildren, medical bills and daily pills. Yet I find that even that concept has changed too and where some elders may engage in these activities, others might cosplay as I have witnessed this past weekend.
                                                                                                                   
Most of you are probably in your teens and twenties like me and embracing youth. None of us are contemplating retirement or when we hit our fifties. Yet sometimes in the late hours of the night or in the quietest moments of the day, we begin to wonder about ourselves. Will we be doing what we want to well into our lives? Will we still be the same person? Will we grow out of something we love by force of adulthood and responsibilities or stay true to it?

For someone who constantly wonders about the future and who I will be, it’s refreshing and wondrous to see elders cosplaying. It’s wonderful and reassuring to see creativity and passion outlast the hardships of life and our youth. It also shows that we still can have vivid imaginations and be ourselves right until our dying day. Maybe when I’m in my retirement, I can scrimp and save and craft some wondrous cosplay like what I saw at the Steampunk World’s Fair.

Will I be ninety five and still cosplaying? I would like to because it’s a part of who I am and knowing that it’s accepted by society, is strongly enticing and inviting.

Thanks for reading tonight’s entry. If you enjoyed it, feel free to comment, critique, share, and subscribe.

So tell me, have you ever seen older people cosplaying?


No comments:

Post a Comment